Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Long Night's Journey Into Day


After watching the documentary Long Night's Journey Into Day, it was interesting to see what is happening in South Africa. I saw a lot of these connections to the U.S. or more locally to Los Angeles. All the events that happened in the documentary remind me of event that took place in the LA County. In South Africa I did not think that there were so many racial issues, even in the U.S. race and racial violence is still a problem today even after we had vote a Black President.

The first case they showed about the foreign exchange student Amy Biehl and how there were four black men that killed her; it was interesting to see that how they got off with the charges. But one thing that surprised me was that the parents of Amy meet with the families of the killers. I thought this was interesting because one of the Journalists bring up about how a person would feel like after going thru a event like this. I feel like I like the old saying and eye for eye, I like to quote the rapper Jay-z when he tells “Now if you shoot my dog, I'ma kill yo' cat” I think this quote would best sum up how I would get remorse.

The Guguletu 7 case reminds me of the Rampart Scandal that took place in Los Angeles Police Department with in the Rampart division. Some of the Rampart police officers would set up people and plant weapons and drugs, just like the group planted weapons on the individual’s part of the guguletu 7 case. Just like in this case it was there own people or own race doing harm to the same race of people.

Another thing that was interesting was Robert McBride case because he was a black person doing the terrorizing to a white people, of course that happens in the U.S. but the always get convicted but for Robert it was not so much they let him of the hook and this usually is what happened to the white officers who are begin convicted or put on trial they drop the chargers or beat the case. This film is very interesting and to see how South Africa is connected to the US and fighting over racial issue.

1 comment:

  1. Jose, You really got me to thiniking about the similarities between the Guguletu 7 and the Rampart scandal. What a great insight that was. If you can't trust your own police force, who can you trust?? I also agree with you that Amy Biehl's parents were saints for their capability to forgive. I enjoyed your post...nice job Jose!

    ReplyDelete